State School 4035 opened in temporary accommodation in 1920, in response to rapid post-war population increase in the area. In 1923 the school moved to a new site at 64 Canterbury Road. Enrolments reached 998 in 1963 but had decreased to 630 by 1969 with the opening of new schools in the district. At the end of 1989, a major amalgamation took place in the area, when Blackburn South, Warrawong, Killoura, and Mirrabooka primary schools were merged to form the triple campus Orchard Grove Primary. Blackburn South Primary was overlooked in the process and closed. The arrangement proved to be short-lived however, with only the former Mirrabooka Primary surviving past 1991. The former Blackburn South site was promptly sold to become the Bright Place housing estate, as well as Branksome Grove Reserve.
Orchard Grove Primary School acknowledges its origins.
Blackburn South Primary School – private Facebook group