State School 2890 opened in 1888 in Victoria Street, the only metropolitan example of the ‘Horsham type’ design, which incorporated verandas. Between 1942 and 1969 it operated as Brunswick Boys’ School, reverting to a co-educational primary school in 1970. Dwindling enrolments saw the school decommissioned in 1990, but the building was saved in 1993 following purchase at auction by a local community venture: WestWyck Pty Ltd. The site is now protected by a heritage overlay.
The transformation to an ‘urban eco-village’ is barely detectable from the front. At the rear (Hunter Street) the WestWyck townhouses have not dwarfed the former school building. While there is more development to come (Collective #9) it seems that the former primary school will be clearly visible for years to come.
WestWyck – living the green life
WestWyck Unit 4 – the former school hall fit out
Collective #9 development project