State School 1895 opened as Oxford Street School in 1877, in one of the original Henry Bastow buildings. The need was great: 1,360 children were enrolled after five days. In 1922 it was renamed Cambridge Street Central School, reflecting a change in status. However, declining enrolments led to its closure late 1992. Protected by a Yarra City Council heritage overlay, the site became Collingwood English Language School.
The Collingwood English Language School continues the educational tradition of the Cambridge Street site.
Cambridge Street State School SS1895 later Cambridge Street Central School – Heritage Council Victoria
Cambridge st Primary School Victoria – public Facebook group
History of Schooling in Collingwood – Making Futures project, Melbourne Graduate School of Education