State School 4667 opened on Ellis Street in 1952, and became a training school for Bendigo Teachers College in 1956. The site was shared from 1959, when Bendigo Girls’ School moved from Quarry Hill. Enrolments fell dramatically by 2007, leading to the school’s closure at the end of that year. The remaining 105 students moved to other primary schools in Bendigo. The buildings were demolished in 2009 and the land was used to form Bendigo South East College under the Bendigo Education Plan regeneration project.
Bendigo South East College does not include the former primary school in its origins, but this is understandable as it was a shared site. Bendigo Girls’ School became the coeducational Flora Hill High School in 1974, and later rebadged as a secondary college. Once the primary school was closed, the focus turned to the ‘merger’ of Flora Hill Secondary and Golden Square Secondary as part of the Bendigo Education Plan regeneration project. Flora Hill Secondary was the winner, with the Ellis Street mega site became the sports oriented Bendigo South East College.
Flora Hill Primary School – public Facebook group
Bendigo Lost School & Club Photos – public Facebook Group