Search

State School 3888 opened as Gardiner Central in 1915, on a site bordered by Nash and Kent Streets. The school developed a rich tradition of scholarship, supplying students to both Melbourne High and MacRobertson Girls High over the years. Many prominent Melbourne citizens began their education at Gardiner Central. However, in 1987 the Years 7 and 8 classes ceased, and in 1992 the school closed altogether. The school was demolished soon after and the land sold for $1,805,000. Most of the site became the Noel Miller Centre, a mecwacare aged-care facility.

Then

Gardiner Primary School then

Now

Gardiner Primary School now

Furthermore

While the Noel Miller Centre occupies most of the former school site, a sliver of land was retained as Gardiner Primary Reserve. The City of Stonnington has erected a commemorative plaque for the Tooronga Closer Settlement Estate which predated Gardiner Central School. The Malvern Historical Society expands on the story in Walk into History 2.

Links

Gardiner Central School No. 3888 Past Students – public Facebook group