State School 2159 opened on the McIvor Highway in 1879. Low enrolments led to two closures between 1882 and 1884. When the original building was burnt out in the 1890s it was replaced by a school building from another site. From the 1930s to the 1950s enrolments surged, courtesy of Bendigo mines being in full operation. However, by 1970 numbers had fallen to 20, and then seven in 1981. The school was closed in July 1990 when enrolments had declined to only five.
Although the school is long gone, local history groups are keeping the memories alive.
History of Knowsley – public Facebook group
Bendigo Lost School & Club Photos – public Facebook Group