State School 457 opened in temporary accommodation in 1861, moving into a new red-brick building on Raglan Street in 1866. The size of the structure reflected Newbridge’s history as a prosperous goldmining town. This was also reflected in the teacher’s residence: a double-storey imitation Swiss Chalet added around 1900. New weatherboard rooms were added in 1964, but enrolments declined, and the school was closed at the end of 1993. It was sold by the State Government to private interests in 1996 (as was the Swiss Chalet). Curiously, neither property is protected by heritage listing.
The owners of the former school put the property on the market in June 2022.
Bendigo Lost School & Club Photos – public Facebook Group