Oakleigh Technical School opened in a new red-brick building on the corner of Poath and North Roads in 1946. From 1968 gardening and horticulture apprenticeship classes were offered. This took on a new dimension in 1991 when the Technical School (by then known as Oakleigh Secondary College) was closed and became the Horticulture campus of Holmesglen College of TAFE. But this too was short-lived, as the site was sold in 1993 ($1.43m) and the buildings demolished. Thereafter the landscape changed dramatically, to feature two housing estates, a service station, a McDonald’s restaurant, and Argyle Reserve.
The site was partitioned for sale, realising $1.11m and $320k respectively. The larger housing estate is known as Heritage Park. But isn’t it a shame that the original school building wasn’t retained and repurposed?
Oakleigh Technical School – public Facebook group, and a treasure trove of historical information
Oakleigh Technical School Society – Facebook group