Prahran West State School (SS2855) opened at 67 High Street in 1888. The name was changed to Prahran in 1925. New buildings were added in the early 1970s as the Gould League established its headquarters in the original red-brick building. Dwindling enrolments led to the closure of the school at the end of 1990. The valuable site was sold ($3.351m), with the heritage listed building converted into luxury apartments, while the playground became Stonnington Gardens Apartments.
The Stonnington Council heritage overlay was based on a Heritage Victoria conservation review. The status seems underwhelming for such an imposing structure, and we hope it will be reconsidered in the future.
Prahran Primary School – public Facebook group, also catering for Prahran High School and Windsor Technical School
Prahran Primary School – an ‘unofficial’ Facebook group