Preston Girls School opened in temporary accommodation in 1928, moving to a red-brick Georgian Revival style building in Cooma Street the following year. In 1949 it was rebadged as Preston Girls Secondary School and in 1958 became Preston Girls High. In 2013 the School Council decided to close the school at the end of that year, citing declining enrolments. Fortunately, the Education Department determined that the heritage protected buildings should be retained, to be reopened as a co-educational High School in the future. This was confirmed in late 2016 by an official Ministerial announcement, and the new Preston High School opened in 2019.
To add to our detailed Case Study, the new Preston High School opened in 2019. With enrolment applications far exceeding existing capacity, this is one example of Government planning getting it right.
Preston Girls High School – public Facebook group