Opened in 1926 as Richmond Domestic Arts School in Gleadell Street. The building was eventually deemed unsafe and a new building was erected in 1954. It was renamed Richmond Girls High School in 1969. Closed in 1993, the school buildings are now part of Lynall Hall Community School. Some former students made their way to a new entity: Melbourne Girls’ College.
Our Case Study addressed the various Richmond schools closed in the 1990s. Richmond Girls High School lives on in two ways, with Lynall Hall Community School now occupying the buildings, while Melbourne Girls’ College has provided secondary education for local girls since 1994. Nearby, the new Richmond High School pays homage to its heritage schools.
Richmond Girls High School – private Facebook group
Richmond Girls High School – Facebook page by Richmond and Burnley Historical Society
Richmond Girls High School sporting team – Picture Victoria