State School 552 opened in a wooden building on Queen Street in 1861. A red-brick building was constructed in 1907, by which time enrolments had reached 122. When enrolments fell to only nine in 2013, the school council decided to close at the end of the year. The property was sold in December 2016 ($450k) and is now a private residence.
The school’s closure was an acknowledgement of the demographic reality in the township. Although it is now a private residence, the new owners have maintained the original design.