State School 1852 opened in 1877 in a Henry Bastow designed building on the corner of Eastern Road and Napier Street. Further rooms were added at regular intervals over the following decades as enrolments soared. Declining enrolments led to the closure of the school in 1991, and the main building was converted to luxury apartments. New housing rose on the former playground.
Eastern Road State School, South Melbourne – an old entry from Ancestry UK.